Compagnie des Docks et Entrepôts de Marseille, run by Paulin Talabot - a Ponts et Chaussées Chief Engineer, Politician and successful Businessman - launched the project of Les Docks de Marseille. Built under the direction of the architect Gustave Desplaces from 1858 to1864, Les Docks de Marseille counts 4 warehouses each displaying its own courtyard as well as the management building named "Hôtel de Direction". The complex is 365-meter long referring to the number of days per year, counts 4 courtyards that symbolize the 4 seasons, 52 doors matching the number of weeks in a year and 7 levels for the number of days in a week.
Entrepôts et Magasins Généraux de Paris (EMGP) took over Compagnie des Docks et Entrepôts de Marseille. Initially, Les Docks are used as a paper and wheat storage facility, later they are equipped with refrigerated chambers and finally, partially restructured into offices.
SARI, managed by la Défense real estate developer Christian Pellerin, bought Les Docks de Marseille. The architect, Eric Castaldi, led the refurbishing project that aimed at transforming the warehouses into offices whilst preserving the bricks arches, enlarging the windows, replacing part of the roof with glass thus creating atriums and last but not least, adding an internal central street.